Australia’s Test squad takeaways:
- Warner remains: David Warner is expected to play in the first Test against Pakistan, with the selectors believing he is still one of their best 11 players.
- Marsh vs Green: Mitchell Marsh has been picked ahead of Cameron Green for the first Test, despite Green’s high upside. The selectors are likely to reward Marsh’s incumbency and make Green bide his time.
- Blooding new quicks: Lance Morris is the one quick who the selectors hope will be the like-for-like for Mitchell Starc, but there is no rush to blood him into the side. The selectors are likely to wait until one of the big three is injured or sore before giving Morris a chance.
Other key points:
- Warner’s retirement could lead to a batting order reshuffle.
- Australia’s irrepressible trio of quicks cement their legacy.
- Morris waits his turn behind the established trio of Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins.